The COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic has confined us to our homes, is making us preach and practice social distancing. is ensuring that we maintain cleanliness and hygiene, not only in washing our hands at regular intervals, but also in washing clothing and doing laundry.
COVID-19 and Washing Clothing – What do Scientists and Doctors Say?
As scientists are rapidly researching and learning more information every day on the presence of the COVID-19 coronavirus on various surfaces, let us take a quick look at what some of them have to say as of now:
- Hard Surfaces: According to a new study conducted by The New England Medical Journal and The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, “some viruses can remain active after two or three days on plastic and stainless steel, 24 hours on cardboard and four hours on copper”
- Porous Materials: “Some researchers believe the fibers in porous material catch the virus particles, dry them out and break them apart. Smooth surfaces like leather and vinyl can be wiped clean.” – Robert Amler, Dean of the School of Health Sciences and Practice at New York Medical College.
- Polyester and Spandex: According to family and emergency physician Dr. Janette Nesheiwat, “Polyester spandex-like material may retain germs longer than cotton-based fabrics, but all types of fabrics can be contaminated.”
Given these, we have charted out a few pointers that can help you do your laundry, either at home or at the laundromat. Going to a laundromat is crucial in getting your clothes washed thoroughly in case you do not have a washer and dryer at home. If you are, make sure you are taking proper precautions like wearing gloves, washing your hands, not touching your face and disinfecting all surfaces of the machines you use.
Avoiding COVID-19 Washing Clothing and Doing Laundry
Coming to the guidelines on washing clothing, bedding and doing laundry to avoid coronavirus, note this important information:
- Use the hot water (at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit) setting in the machine to wash your clothes.
- Give your clothes some extra time and heat in the dryer to ensure all moisture droplets dry out, thereby killing any germs or possible viruses. If you do not have a dryer, consider drying your clothing and wet laundry using a commercial dryer at the laundromat.
- While some experts conclude that using normal detergent is enough to kill the virus in your clothes and bedding, others recommend using detergents that contain a bleach compound
- Last but not the least, wash your clothes more frequently, especially if you are a first responder, leaving your home for work or to visit the grocery store, and if you are using elevators and public transportation
We hope these laundry practices will give you the much-needed peace of mind that you are getting your clothes and laundry clean to stay healthy and fight the coronavirus.
Our Laundromat in Four Corners is Open During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Florida laundromats and laundry facilities are considered important “Essential Services” during the COVID-19 crisis. Now more than ever, each and every customer is important to us at Lauromart of Four Corners and we are here to serve you. You can feel safe dropping by our laundromat for all of your laundry needs. The COVID-19 pandemic may be the ideal time to try our wash and fold laundry services where we wash your with quick drop-off and pick-up at our state-of-the-art laundromat.
We Follow the CDC Guidelines for COVID-19
We are following the U. S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) Guidelines for cleaning and disinfection our machines and surfaces in our facility to put you at ease the moment you step in the door. We are also following social distancing requirements to stay 6 feet apart and having customers take their clean laundry outside the facility when its ready for folding.
Rest assured we are here to help keep you stay healthy amidst the coronavirus pandemic when you visit our laundromat to wash your clothes or use our laundry service. Contact us today if you have any questions about our coin laundry or wash and fold laundry service.
We are all in this together!